Tuesday, December 05, 2006

But she won't eat anything edible.

When I picked up Peanut today I was greeted with, "Ampy Cadle! Ampy Cadle!" Argh? DP(daycare provider)translated by reminding me that they went to Yankee Candle today and then gave me the candles that Peanut apparently made while there. Sweetie jumps up and down with glee when seeing the candles, so I give them to her to hold as I pack her, her blanket, the extra car seat, her winter boots, and the one remaining mitten from the day's adventure into the car. (Mental note - attach all mittens together with shoestrings from this point forward.) I got the candles from her as I buckled her into the car seat, but then at her request let her hold them for the car ride home. Yeah, not such a good idea. As we are traveling the 4 minutes back to the house she is yammering on about Ampy Cadle and making this new smacky sound. Now she makes new sounds all the time, so I wasn't so much concerned and continued the drive home. (Mental note #2 - if child makes smacky sound: be concerned.) At the light I turn around to ask her something - know idea what anymore - to find that she had eaten a sizable chunk out of the middle of the candle! Down to the wick. As well as several other smaller gnaw-marks. I keep my cool. We've only got a minute more until we get home and I can call poison control. Getting her out of the car I hope, but do not find, that she just let the wax shavings fall out of her mouth all over the car - you know, like she does with her breakfast. But no. So we get in the house, and look in her mouth to find wax remnants in her back teeth. Then I call poison control and have to explain that my 2 year old has just ate about a Tablespoon or more of candle wax. The guy, while he didn't believe that she actually consumed it, did let me know that it wasn't harmful to her, but may act as a bit of a laxative. Ok. Well, at least I don't have to worry that she poisoned herself. But, damn, couldn't she have eaten at least as much breakfast or dinner in my presence today as she did candle!

No comments: