Sunday, September 30, 2007

African Bath

When I went to Africa a couple of years ago, we either took cold showers or had to heat up water on the stove and bring it to the bathroom in a bucket where we would add cold water until it was the right temp, then you'd take a large cup and poor the warm water over you until you were thoroughly washed.

This is what we've been doing the last couple of days. The boiler seems to be non-functional currently. The first week we were in the house it would shut off about every 24 hours. This was bothersome because we had to go down and reset it every night if we wanted a warm shower in the morning. It was making me nervous because I thought, well, if it keeps turning off maybe there is really something wrong and it could be dangerous. I called the company listed on a sticker on it and they said that there was nothing to worry about - probably only needed to be adjusted and cleaned - unless it was powering off immediately. Then we should get it looked at right away because it could be dangerous. It was Friday morning when I made that call and I'm thinking, cool, we can wait a bit - as long as we get it done before it freezes - to get it fixed. But then that night, I went to reset it and it shut off immediately. So I left it and now we will need to call right away tomorrow morning to get this thing fixed. Thank heavens we have a home warranty!

In the meantime, it is African Baths for us.

No comments: